Sat, Jul 15|
Tour with PNJ: Historic Freehold
There are downtowns – and then there are downtowns! Freehold Borough invites you to find out about our vibrant, historic and walkable community this summer.
Time & Location
Jul 15, 2:15 PM – 4:30 PM
Freehold, 18 E Main St, Freehold, NJ 07728, USA
About the event
Preservation NJ’s 2023 Annual Meeting will be held at the American Hotel with a FREE walking tour and networking reception to follow.
For over 250 years downtown Freehold Borough has been the center for government, commerce, art, music, culture, architecture and more for Monmouth County and beyond. DowntownFreehold.com features over 150 events each year including our Thursday’s Rock! Summer Concert Series, Farmers Markets, street performances, Festivals and more. Join us on a tour of downtown Freehold with discussions of district management and examples of streetscape beautification programs. Among other Monmouth County and Freehold Borough officials, the borough historian will give participants an overview of the history of Freehold.
The tour of downtown Freehold is themed about the importance of Historic Preservation in Placemaking. The route will include:
- Experience a unique garbage collection system that serves 42 restaurants since historic structures and planning did not encompass the volume/style of modern trash
- Murals and public artworks
- Visit to train station
- Get on a bus for a 3 block trip to the Baptist Church
- Visit to Monmouth County Historical Association
- Visit the Monument in the Park
- Court Street touch on Italian-influenced architecture
After the tour there will be PNJ networking reception at Artis Brewery on South Street with drinks and apps.