Status: Progress Made
This late nineteenth-century synagogue is the earliest and oldest surviving synagogue of southern New Jersey. Though it has undergone extensive additions and alterations through the years, original elements remain in tact, specifically, the eclectic mixture of Islamic revival and shingle-style architecture influences are still visible. The Beth Israel Congregation was housed at the synagogue until 1911 when they relocated to a larger space in another part of town. At this time, the building was sold to the Masons, who used the synagogue as a lodge, and when they sold it several years later, it became a successful guesthouse.
1892-93 Moorish Islamic 2-story shingle style with tower and minarets; first synagogue in AC; one of the oldest syn buildings in NJ; exterior changes include new siding and removal of minarets
1911-1926 Masonic Temple
1930’s converted to apartments; guest house
1992 new owner
No noted changes in status. Research continues.
Howard Green, NJ Historical Commission
3 Grant Ave,
Highland Park, NJ 08904
Bob Craig, NJ HPO
4002 Nottingham Way
Hamilton, NJ 08690