Originally constructed between 1869 and 1875, the Romanesque Revival style Church of St. Michael the Archangel was the work of the prolific Irish immigrant ecclesiastical architect Patrick Charles Keely, and was, for some time, the largest Roman Catholic house of worship in Hudson County. After a fire in 1934, the church was rebuilt to its original dimensions by the Boston architects, Charles D. Maginnis and Timothy Walsh, and the church and chapel were decorated by renowned Art-Deco style muralist, Hildreth Meiere. The complex was closed in 1981 and was sold to Korean Presbyterians who renamed St. Michael’s the Hudson Presbyterian Church. Currently, the main threat to the church is the congregation’s lack of resources. No one opposes the preservation of this beautiful building, but maintaining such a large structure is very expensive.
Preservation New Jersey