Status: On-going Concern
07/2010: The building underwent an exterior restoration by the city about five years ago. The building envelope, roof, and windows were all restored, and a handicap ramp was installed. The city has been trying to find someone to lease the building but has been unsuccessful. The interior was restored in the 1980s but needs a lot of work. The work on the interior is being put off until it is known what the building will be used for.
This eighteenth-century building signifies the growth of Trenton into a commercial and industrial city. Originally built as a private home, it was enlarged for use as a tavern in the early nineteenth century and was frequented by patrons of the nearby Eagle Raceway. At that time it served as the political center for the city’s South Ward and was a meeting place of the Masons. In 1890, the tavern closed and became a rooming house until 1950. Later it was purchased by the city and leased to the Trenton Historical Society. The society tried and failed three times to operate the tavern as a restaurant. At the time of its listing, the city had boarded up the building and was using federal urban initiative funds to conduct a feasibility study to find a viable new use.
Jerry Harcar, Trenton Landmarks Commission
319 East StateStreet,
Trenton, NJ 08608