01/2011: The borough has plans to restore the property for use as a museum and by the local historical society. They received a $9,412 NJHT grant in 2001 to help pay for the preparation of a preservation plan. The next year they received another NJHT grant for $102,282 to help fund the repair and replacement of the roof and water conduction system. Unfortunately, the house remains vacant at this time.
The Isaac Tomlinson House is a locally rare example of a gambrel-roofed, Federal style dwelling, the main, brick, portion of which was built in 1843. It is the only structure in Pine Hill built before the Civil War.
The property on which the house stands first came into Tomlinson family hands in 1690. After Isaac built this house it became the center of a vast estate, called “Ivory Hill,” which included on its many acres a sawmill, a gristmill, and an orchard. When the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad came to Pine Hill Station in the late nineteenth century, development followed. Gradually the vast Tomlinson holdings were subdivided, until today Isaac Tomlinson’s house stands alone on a small plot of land.
The Borough of Pine Hill purchased the house, which has been determined eligible for listing in the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, in November 2000, with a grant received from Camden County. But it is now vacant and may deteriorate beyond rescue before the borough can secure funds to restore it and put it into use.