12/2020: The brick walls of the John Rogers House are still standing as a constructed ruin within Mercer County Park. Construction began in June 2018 and involved stabilization of the brick walls as well as removal of the roof, floorplates, internal partitions, doors, and windows. Work was completed in November 2019. The Rogers House is accompanied by interpretive signage detailing the house’s history as it relates to local and regional history.
-County still letting it deteriorate
-preparing to cover the roof with a tarp
– vandalized; northern most patterned brick house, 1761
-Much different story given from the historical society, they have been removed from the situation for many years now and the county and parks continue to let the house deteriorate
-when historical society wanted to raise money and attempt to fix up the house the park system insisted that they take out insurance on the house, as well as share revenue from the gift shop that would be set up if the building was restored.
County and local historical society at odds over preservation of the building. The county is now investigating site’s stabilization.
Perhaps the oldest building in West Windsor Township, the Rogers House (1761) is a distinctive regional example of the pattern-brick houses most commonly found in southern New Jersey. This Mercer County example proves the broad influence of the English Quakers who were some of the state’s earliest settlers.
Vacant for more than fifteen years at the time of the list, the house is owned by Mercer County and remains standing because of its sturdy original construction.
Steve Nictakis, Mercer County Parks
Kay Reed, West Windsor Historical Society